Friday 1 March 2013

Good Smews Everyone!

As the cold begins to move away I am pleased to announce that I have at last bagged a golden winter bird. The A list of the winter visitors. Perhaps, as some may argue, the very pinnacle. Ladies and Gentlemen, from the jaws of winter's hasty retreat I give you... the Smew.

Or I would if I had a decent camera to take photos with.

Instead there's a picture of the cutting edge ornithological optics that I was using to scope out my first EVER views of this stunning bird. After spotting the male on the lake I then scanned with the telescope. The grainy, blurred view made it look as though I was doing an opticians test, where instead of looking at letters on a board I was looking at birds on a lake. And I was failing.

That was until I relocated the stunning drake (male) practically shimmering in the sunlight. Even looking through a telescope made of bathroom glass, the bird was sublime. I got  more views throughout the day with the naked eye as both he and the red headed female (who remained much closer to our side of the lake) were present all day, swimming around with tufted ducks and the four Goldeneye that were present.

They're winter visitors from Russia and Scandinavia, a small duck (about the size of a little grebe) that dives frequently. But when you see the male, my word do you see the male. An absolutely dazzling bird of brilliant white accentuated by a black mask, back and stripes. It's certainly one of the most incredible birds I've ever seen, even through a 20 year old, weather beaten telescope.

While at Harewood I was told about a Mistle Thrush that nested in traffic lights by the bus station every year and was already on the nest again this year. After staying on the bus one extra stop I got off to have a look. Sure enough there she was, sat tight on the nest in the amber light (you can just see a twig pointing right). There were people passing underneath all the time and no one seemed to notice she was there. I couldn't even begin to work out how the chicks would fare when they fledged as its surrounded by busy roads and pedestrians on all sides. They're going to have to be some very street wise Mistle Thrushes

I hung around a bit to watch for any activity and to try and catch a picture of her when the light turned yellow. After unsuccessful attempts and weird looks from passers by wondering why I was taking pictures of a traffic light, I gave up.




And finally, after going to a great extent to describe a male Smew and then not having a picture (think of it as homework) and my shameful attempt at the Mistle Thrush in a traffic light, I thought I better show an actual bird. 


This is Cassidy, a Rainbow Lorikeet at Harewood House during her afternoon nectar top up. And I think we can all agree on one thing - 


What a belter she is.


No comments:

Post a Comment