Thursday 19 December 2013

Parrot Crossbills on Budby Common

Having heard about the flock of Parrot Crossbills seen for a couple of weeks on Budby Common, I decided to head out this morning to search for them myself now I've returned from university.

#ParrotCrossbillSelfie
It was my first visit to Budby Common and after a long time rambling around I stumbled across a group of birders with there eyes fixed on the top of a bare tree (not a pine where I expected to see them). I counted about 12 in the tree as they rested and gave cracking views. One flew overhead and you could see its large Hawfinch-like size and hear its call. After a while of watching them in the tree they came down to the puddles on the track to drink. They then moved into a small group of pines where they began to feed on the cones, characteristically pulling them from the tree and holding them whilst removing the seeds.

They were far from scared of people and the group of around 10 birders that were there got absolutely stunning close up views, in some cases of no more than a few metres, as they fed on the pine cones and came down to drink from more puddles.

Instructions of anybody who want to find the Parrot Crossbills are as follows: Park in Budby village and take the trail at the top of the village that brings you out onto the common. From there you will be overlooking the site and should be able to see a "dip" in the land in front of you. It is that area where the birds have been sited.

The best information on the site that I have found are on Lound Bird Club's website: www.loundbirdclub.com/localbirdsightings.htm

I managed to digiscope a few pictures on my phone - enjoy!

Female feeding on a broken off cone
This male sat singing quietly for a long time
Another female feeding




Male sat on top of the pine copse the flock fed on


No comments:

Post a Comment