Thursday 7 November 2013

Redwing... Check

Gorgeous.
So its been a week since I laid down the gauntlet to myself and have completed my first tick off the list.
Why you should never believe the rule...
It was during a tumultuous autumn Sunday at Harewood House, that went from driving storm conditions to picturesque dancing golden rays. It was during one of these stunning sunlit moments that I was watching a flock of Redwings darting between two Yew Trees as the sun glanced off their red underwings. It was a veritable pick and mix of thrushes, with Blackbirds, Song Thrush and the odd rattling Mistle Thrush in amongst the Yew branches... but alas, no Fieldfares. Probably still a little early to be coming across those commonly.

Now, something else that I noticed on my ways to University was a group of 6 Carrion Crows feeding in Leeds' Hyde Park with a couple of Magpies. This reminded me of the rule that I've often discussed with, usually more novice, bird watchers regarding the difference between Rooks and Carrion Crows. The rule goes; "If you see a group together they are Rooks, whilst one on its own will be a Crow." This picture certainly goes to prove that false! Although this may be an exception, I am still not a fan of the rule in general as family groups and winter gatherings of crows can make it incorrect. Its much better to learn to recognise the more dagger pointed grey beak and face of the Rook compared to the black all over, sleeker Carrion Crow.


I'll leave the this post on two pictures that sum up this time of year in a human and natural way. One from the fireworks at Roundhay Park bonfire and the other (no less spectacular) of autumnal fungi. Here's hoping for a great winter!



No comments:

Post a Comment