Thursday 25 April 2013

A Name Change, Some Flamingos and a Field of Death

Not much has really happened for me to write about this week, and on top of me being snowed under with work this blog will be quite short.

First things first, a bit of house keeping.

The name of the blog has changed (as you may have noticed). I can only live under the moniker of "The Teenage Twitcher" for so long and seen as though I'm 20, it's time to put that name to bed.

From now on it'll be known by the name of the web link; "Close Encounters of the Bird Kind."

So lets start off this new dawn with a taste of the exotic. Except with it actually being in Yorkshire...

I was back at Harewood, which was being held tightly in the embrace of Spring, to help out with anything in the bird garden. It mainly consisted of feeding and watering (not literally) different birds whilst watching the Kites wheeling around. A perfect way to spend a beautiful Saturday, although the Egyptian Geese parents guarding their young in the Flamingo enclosure had me worried for my safety on more that one occasion.

I've also been on a field trip to the University's farm (where they conduct research into agricultural stuff... which you probably guessed) where we were collecting insect samples to analyse in the lab. One particular field came complete with a dead Hare, Roe Deer, Field Vole and Woodpigeon... Needless to say we didn't stay long, particularly with the ominous Buzzards circling above.


Sorry it's a bit short... To make it up, here's a picture of some Chilean Flamingos at Harewood that I took when I wasn't watching my back for any incoming Egyptian Geese.


No comments:

Post a Comment